Wauconda Township Historical Society
The Wauconda Township Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of the local history and genealogy of Lake County, Illinois. It is located at 711 N Main St, Wauconda, IL 60084. The society preserves a vast amount of information related to the area's past. The society also hosts lectures, exhibits, and other events aimed at educating the public.
In 1877, a petition was presented to John L. Turner, County Judge of Lake County, to incorporate part of Wauconda town. The petitioners agreed to comply with the provisions of an act to provide for the incorporation of "Cities and Villages" approved on April 10, 1872.
Early settlers settled in the area from New England and New York. Some traveled by the Erie Canal. Others arrived via the Great Lakes. The earliest settlers established a saw and grist mill near the lake. They also established a brick yard on the Cook and Kent properties on Maple Avenue. In addition, a limestone kiln was built on Kimball's property. A blacksmith shop and foundry were also located on Kimball's property.
The Wauconda Township Historical Society fosters interest in local history by preserving historic artifacts and personal stories. They also conduct research on local families and businesses. The society also maintains the Andrew C. Cook House, which is the oldest home in the town. This historical house is now a museum and local history site.
The Wauconda Township Historical Society was formed in 1973. Its mission was to preserve the history of the area, including Lake Barrington, Lakemoor, Port Barrington, and part of Island Lake. Its current mission is to collect, preserve, and share information on the local area's past. Additional info
There are several records available to help researchers research their family history. These records can be accessed through databases. The Illinois Regional Archives Depositories, which are housed on state university campuses, are another good place to search for local records. Northern Illinois University holds Lake County's county records.
The Cook House, built in 1844, was designated a historic site by the Illinois State Historical Society in 1992. It displays the life of the original Cook family. The Society also offers a changing exhibition that highlights area history. The museum provides free admission, and is open to the public. Next blog post